Add to Collection
Go to Collections
VEGETABLE GARDEN SOUP
Vegetable Garden Soup or Sopa de Milpa, typical of the central states of Mexico, literally translates as Corn Field Soup. Milpa is the parcel of land where corn is grown in Mexico. Mesoamerica ethnic groups wanted to be self-sufficient regarding their food.
- 2 Poblano Peppers Roasted cleaned and cut into strips or cubes.
- 2 ½ cups of cup kernels From 2 corn ears
- 2 Epazote leaves
- 2 cups of water
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoon butter
- ½ cup white onion finely diced
- 2 small garlic cloves finely chopped.
- 2 ½ Cups of Squash or zucchini about 2 medium size squash
- 6 cups Chicken broth
- 12 Squash blossoms cleaned and stems removed*
- Salt to taste
- 1 ½ cup Panela Cheese or Queso Fresco.
First gather and prepare all your ingredients, this soup cooks quickly once you have everything ready. Roast the Poblano peppers over the flame, let them sweat inside a plastic bag or wrapped in a kitchen towel. Rub the peppers with your finger to remove the charred skins or use a kitchen towel to remove the skins, make a slit lengthwise and discard the seeds. Pat dry and cut into strips or cubes. Have onion and garlic chopped.
In a medium size saucepan place the corn, 2 cups of water and epazote leaves. Cook on medium heat fro about 10 minutes.
Add the squash or zucchini to the pot and cook for 5 minutes. By this time corn is almost ready.
Pour corn and its cooking liquid into the pot with the zucchini and onion mix.
Add the Poblano, squash blossoms and chicken broth to the pot and cook for a couple of minutes.
When all vegetables are almost done, taste to season with salt.
Serve hot garnish with cheese and along some warm corn tortillas.
• Some cooks do not remove the stem, as they believe it enhances the flavors of the flower.
• If you do not find all the ingredients listed above substitute with vegetables in season in your area.
• For cheese substitution look for a firm and fresh cheese
Serving: 110 ounces bowl | Calories: 143kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 1069mg | Potassium: 518mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 480IU | Vitamin C: 61mg | Calcium: 39mg | Iron: 1mg