Add to Collection
Go to Collections
CREAMY BLACK BEAN SOUP
This is an easy and forgiving recipe, so you can play around with it a lot. There are many variations all over Mexico: some with cream or milk, others with chicken broth or without it. Some also use dried peppers or fresh peppers.
- 2 small tomatoes or one large tomato (about 8 ounces total weight)
- ⅓ cup white onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 2 Cups cooked black beans with a little of its cooking broth
- 2 Epazote leaves if available
- Salt & Ground Black Pepper to taste
- ½- cup chicken or vegetable broth.
CHOICE OF TOPPINGS:
- 1 Avocado diced
- 4 to rtillas cut into thin strips and fried.
- 1 Canned Chipotle pepper
- ½ cup crumbled Queso Fresco
Chop the tomatoes and place in a blender along with the chopped onion and garlic. Process until you have a smooth sauce.
Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan and then pour the tomato sauce.
Cook the tomato sauce over medium-high heat for about 7-8 minutes until it starts to boil.
While the tomato sauce is cooking, puree the black beans and their broth in a blender or food processor until they have a fine texture.
Pour the black bean puree into the saucepan and stir, mixing well. The puree has to have a very fine, silky texture. If you prefer, pass through a strainer to obtain the best results. If the soup is too thick, add the chicken broth a tablespoon at the time to get a creamy texture. Don’t pour it all at once, since it could result in a watery soup. Season soup with salt and pepper.
Simmer the soup, stirring frequently for about 15 minutes. Serve warm with your choice of toppings.
- This soup is well known throughout Mexico and has several variations: some add cream, milk, or crispy dried peppers as toppings or as part of the tomato sauce.
- You can be creative with this soups and add other types of herbs like cilantro o even add an avocado leaf to give the soup a different taste and aroma. And even use peppers like arbol, guajillo or the spicy habanero if you like. Give it your own personal touch.
Serving: 1bowl | Calories: 206kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 976mg | Potassium: 464mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 445IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 119mg | Iron: 2.1mg