Add to Collection
Go to Collections
PICKLED BEEF TONGUE APPETIZER
Several people have asked me about the recipe for Pickled Beef Tongue, or as we call it in Spanish, “Lengua en Escabeche”. This is the way that I make it, which will surely be different than a lot of recipes out there since I’ve never seen two that are alike.
- 1 RUMBA® Meats Beef tongue about 3 to 3½ lbs.
- ¼ of a large white onion for cooking with the meat
- 2 bay leaves for cooking with the meat
- 4 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¾ of a large white onion cut into slices
- 2 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots peeled and cut into slices (About 2 cups)
- 2 jalapeño peppers cut into rings
- ⅓ cup white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon dried Mexican Oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried Marjoram
- ½ teaspoon dried Thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 black peppercorns
- 2 sprigs of parsley
- Salt to taste
Remove beef tongue from the package and rinse thoroughly. In a large pot, place the 4 garlic cloves, 2 bay leaves, and the ¼ of the onion. Cover with water and cook for about 1 hour and 45 minutes at the low temperature until the meat is cooked and tender, but still firm (since we’re going to cut it into slices). If cooking in a slow cooker, cook for 5 hours in the low setting, for an Instant Pot, cook for 20 minutes.
Allow the meat to cool, then place in your fridge for a couple of hours (cold meat is easier to cut). After this removed the skin and slice the tongue thinly. Set aside.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, then add the carrots and cook for about 5 minutes. Depending on the thickness, you will have to adjust the cooking time. Make sure you do not overcook them; they still need to have some crispiness when you bite them.Pickled beef tongue cooking time
This step is a quick one. Add the sliced ¾ onion, peppers, garlic, bay leaves, herbs, and black peppercorns to the frying pan. Sautee the veggies and herbs for a couple of minutes over high heat. Pour the vinegar in and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 3 minutes. Add the sliced meat, season with salt, and keep cooking for 5 more minutes. Remove immediately from the heat. Cover and let it rest for at least 20 minutes. Garnish with the parsley before serving.Pickled Beef tongue recipe
You can serve the beef tongue warm, although it is usually served cold on a large serving tray or in small individual plates. Pairs well with corn tostadas.
- The jalapeño peppers are optional, so those that do not like things spicy can omit them (you can always offer this appetizer with a side of pickled jalapeños, for those that enjoy a little spiciness).
- This appetizer tastes better when prepared one day ahead.
Serving: 2oz | Calories: 77kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Fat: 6g | Sodium: 12mg | Potassium: 78mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 2585IU | Vitamin C: 6.5mg | Calcium: 11mg | Iron: 0.2mg