Add to Collection
Go to Collections
MEXICAN FAVA BEAN SOUP
Even though fall season is not as cold here as it is in more northern parts of the country, for some reason I’ve been craving lots of soups this fall. We’ve been eating soups almost every other day, and this Creamy Fava Bean Soup has been a common sight in my kitchen as of late.
- ½ Tbsp. Vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup chopped white onion finely diced
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 2 cups chopped tomato
- 3 cups cooked fava beans
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 Tbsp. Knorr chicken bouillon
- 1 ½ cup cooked and diced Nopales.
- Salt and pepper to season
- Cilantro or parsley to garnish
Heat oil in a medium-size saucepan, then add the chopped onion and garlic and sauté for about 1 minute.
Stir in the chopped tomatoes and cook for about 4-5 minutes, until they release their juices.
While the tomatoes are cooking, place fava beans in the blender with the warm water and Knorr Chicken bullion, and process until smooth.
Pour this mixture into the saucepan and stir in the nopales. Season with salt and pepper and cook for about 5 minutes, until all the flavors have blended.
Serve in bowls and garnish with chopped cilantro or parsley. We like to have some freshly oven-toasted multigrain bread on the side to dip into this creamy soup. Enjoy!
- You can easily make this soup fat free by using 2 tablespoons of water instead of the vegetable oil.
- You can use canned fava beans for this soup, just make sure to drain and rinse them before placing them in the blender.
- If you like spicy soups, add one chopped jalapeño in the first step.
Serving: 1bowl | Calories: 188kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 200mg | Potassium: 669mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 305IU | Vitamin C: 15.8mg | Calcium: 139mg | Iron: 3.3mg