Add to Collection
Go to Collections
The white atole with milk and guava pure are a delightful combination. Guava is a very aromatic fruit, guavas grown in Mexico have a light yellow skin with small brown spots once they are ripe the pulp is soft and white and some are light pink, they have a large number of small seeds.
Servings 6 cups
- 4 cups whole milk*
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 8 Tablespoons corn flour masa-harina
- 2 cups water divided
- 2 ½ cups of Guavas cut in half about 10 guavas, (1-½ cup Guava puree) **
Mix milk, sugar, and cinnamon stick in a saucepan. Turn heat to medium and gently simmer for about 5 minutes until it comes to a boil.
While the milk is simmering, mix the cornflour with 1 cup of water in a small bowl. Stir well to avoid any lumps.
Once the milk comes to a boil, slowly whisk in the cornflour mix and bring to a boil again. Then, reduce heat to medium-low and keep simmering until thickened about 8 minutes. Stir occasionally. Remember, you will not add the puree until the Atole is almost cooked.
While the atole is cooking, place the guavas with the cup of water in a blender and process until you have a smooth puree, seeds will still be whole, pass thru a sieve or colander.
Stir guava puree into the cooking atole. Mix well and keep cooking for about 10 more minutes. Although it is not a traditional way to do it, I like to serve this type of atole with a dusting of ground cinnamon.
Please be very careful before drinking it, it’s very hot! The thickness of the drink helps it maintain its heat for a long time.
- * You can use whole milk or any other milk for your preference.
- ** Substitute fresh Guavas for the canned version if fresh ones are not available.
- You can first remove the seeds of the guavas and then puree in your blender for step 4. That way you can skip the use of a colander or sieve.
- DO NOT ADD the guava puree until the atole is almost cooked, otherwise, the milk will curdle.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 206kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 16mg | Sodium: 75mg | Potassium: 218mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 25g | Vitamin A: 265IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 192mg | Iron: 1mg