Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Mushroom Soup, That place La Marquesa, where families like to go on weekends to have a quiet and relaxing time surrounded by nature, offers an array of gastronomic dishes very popular and traditional like the lamb barbacoa, and the quesadillas made with blue corn masa.
- 2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil or butter*
- ½ Cup white onion finely diced.
- 2 garlic cloves minced (small)
- 2 Guajiilo peppers cleaned and deveined, cut into rings.
- 1 Pound mushrooms cleaned and chopped
- 1 dozen squash blossoms rinsed and chopped. (Optional)**
- 4 cups of Chicken broth
- 1 Epazote Branch about 5 to 6 leaves.
- 1 Salt to taste
Heat oil or melt butter over medium heat in a medium-size pot. Saute onion, garlic, and guajillo pepper pieces in oil or butter over a medium for until onion is soft. About 2 minutes.
Add chopped mushrooms and squash blossoms, if using. Stir and cover the pot. Simmer until mushrooms are soft and had released some of its juices. About 4 – 5 minutes.
Stir in chicken broth and Epazote leaves, when soup starts simmering season with salt.
Keep simmering in a low heat for about 10 minutes to let the flavors blend.
Serve warm with corn tortillas or a crusty French bread.
* You can either use oil or butter to sauté the vegetables. I use 1 Tablespoons of each since butter gives a rich flavor to the soup.
** You can see that the soup also has squash blossoms, they are not a typical part of the soup but some cooks add them. I found these at my local farmer’s market, and since they were the last ones of the season, I didn’t want to pass the opportunity to use them for this dish.
Maybe you can see that the Epazote leaves in the picture above are frozen. Since it is not easy to find them year round, I usually freeze them and use as needed. They hold their flavor much better this way than the dried Epazote found in some stores.
Calories: 124kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 872mg | Potassium: 733mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1843IU | Vitamin C: 41mg | Calcium: 52mg | Iron: 2mg