Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Basic Tomato Sauce
Basic Tomato Sauce, The ingredients are tomato, onion, and garlic. Recado is used every single day in Mexican households to prepare rice, stews, soups, etc. Some people don’t even know it has a name, they simply learned how to cook dishes using this sauce that is so essential in our cuisine.
Servings 3 Cups of Salsa
- 20 oz. of Tomatoes
- ¼ of a medium white onion
- 2 small garlic cloves skins removed
- ½ teaspoon of salt to season Optional
Place tomatoes, onion and garlic cloves in a large stockpot or saucepan. Cover with water, place the saucepan lid on, and cook over high heat until it starts boiling; once the water starts boiling reduce heat to simmer. Cook until tomatoes are soft and skins are peeling.
Carefully, place only the tomatoes, onion and garlic in a blender and puree until you have a very smooth sauce. (Add a few tablespoons of water to the blender, only if your blender is having a hard time processing the sauce)
Using a strainer, pour into glass jars. Once they’re completely cool, store in your refrigerator. The sauce will last about 4 days. Use as needed for your soups or other recipes.
- You can use plum or round tomatoes to make this sauce.
- You can core the tomatoes and make a small “X” cut at the bottom of each tomato to easily remove the skins after cooking, once they’ve slightly cooled. I have a powerful blender so I skip this step.
- This sauce is also prepared raw and then fried with 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a frying pan until it is fully cooked.
Calories: 41kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 10mg | Potassium: 461mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1574IU | Vitamin C: 27mg | Calcium: 23mg | Iron: 1mg