Add to Collection
Go to Collections
CREAM OF PECAN SOUP
Today’s recipe is for an elegant Cream of Pecan soup. You might think that we don’t have these types of nuts in Mexico, but we do. Pecans are grown in the northern states of Chihuahua, Durango, Nuevo Leon, Sonora, and Coahuila.
Servings 8 cups
- 2 Tablespoons of butter
- ½ cup white onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- ½ cup celery chopped
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 1½ cups roasted pecans* about 6 ounces
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- Salt to taste
- Finely chopped parsley or green onions for garnish
- Olive oil for drizzling on the soup optional
Melt the butter in a heavy pot over medium-low heat. Add the celery, onion, and garlic. Cook until the onion looks transparent, about 4 minutes.
Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Pour in the broth and stir in the pecans, then bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until the vegetables are tender and the celery is cooked (about 10 more minutes).
Turn the heat off and allow to cool for a few minutes. Working in batches, process the pecans, broth, onion, and celery mixture in your blender until you have a smooth texture (about 1 to 2 minutes). Return the soup to the pot, using a strainer if necessary. Stir in the heavy cream and bring the soup to a simmer (uncovered) over medium heat. Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle with olive oil if desired.
Serve warm and garnish with chopped pecans and your favorite herbs.
- *Reserve some pecans for garnishing the soup.
- This is a basic recipe for Cream of Pecan Soup; you can add other spices to adjust to your personal taste. Nutmeg and ground white pepper are sometimes added. Other additions are white wine or sherry wine.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 274kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 48mg | Sodium: 471mg | Potassium: 223mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 565IU | Vitamin C: 9.8mg | Calcium: 46mg | Iron: 0.8mg