Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Shredded Beef Recipe
Shredded beef, Some of the most popular dishes in Mexico, called “antojitos”, have shredded beef or chicken as the main ingredient. Therefore, I find it always good to make a big batch of it and have it ready for those nights when you’re in a hurry and want to make your favorite Mexican dinner at home.
- 2 lbs. skirt or flank steak cut into cubes (about 2-in)
- ½ medium white onion cut into quarters
- 4 large garlic cloves peeled and cut in half
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cube Knorr Beef Bouillon
- Water to cook
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil*
- Salt and pepper to taste
Place the meat, onion, garlic, and bay leaf in a large pot, and cover with water. Cook over a medium-high heat until it starts boiling. One it starts boiling, covers the pot and reduces heat to simmer.
Total cooking time will be about 1 hr and 30 minutes. Cook until meat is tender and can be easily shredded with a fork. 45 minutes in a pressure cooker, or about 5 hours in a slow cooker in a high heat setting.
Once cooked, remove from pot and place in a bowl, draining any excess broth.
Once the meat is cool enough to handle, shred the meat using 2 forks, pulling the meat with the forks in opposite directions, until you break the meat into strands. Discard any bits of fat or gristle you find in the meat. Continue this process until all the meat is shredded.
Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the meat and stir-fry for about 5 minutes. Add a little bit of the cooking broth to moisten the meat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Adding the beef bouillon renders a really flavorful meat and broth, you can add up to 2 cubes of the beef bouillon for this amount of meat. You can also add soup bones to have a delicious and substantial beef broth.
- Usually, the meat is just cooked and shredded, but I add an extra step using the oil to give a great kick to the meat’s final taste. You can skip that if you want, but I highly recommend it.
Serving: 4oz | Calories: 254kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 90mg | Sodium: 477mg | Potassium: 536mg | Vitamin C: 1.3mg | Calcium: 42mg | Iron: 2.4mg