– Season the meat with salt and pepper. Heat the vegetable oil at medium-high heat in a large skillet. Once the oil is hot, add the beef and cook until it is well browned. This process will take about 8-10 minutes. Stir the beef from time to time, until the meat juices have evaporated and the meat starts to brown. Browning adds more flavor to the meat.
– Add the sliced onion and the diced Serrano pepper, and sauté for about 2 minutes.
– Stir in the garlic and cook for about one minute.
– Pour in the canned Organic Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes from Muir Glen and stir. Turn the heat up and cook for 3 more minutes. After this time, reduce the temperature, cover the pan, and keep cooking for 5 more minutes. At this time, the sauce will look a little dry, but don’t worry about it, since the Swiss chard will release its liquid into the sauce when you add it.
– Finally, and working in batches if needed, stir in the chopped Swiss chard and the cilantro. Season with salt and pepper and cook until the Swiss chard is just wilted (about 1 to 2 minutes on low heat). Stir well, and then remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. Remember that the Swiss chard will release some liquid, so stir it well so it can blend with the tomato sauce.
– Serve immediately with a side of rice.