– Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
– Add the olive oil to the bottom of the clay pot, making sure it is spread all over. This will help to keep the chicken from sticking to the bottom.
– Place 3 pieces of chicken and half of the carrots, chayotes, tomatoes, onion, and garlic over the bottom of the pot to form the first layer.
– Next, add the other 3 pieces of chicken and the rest of the ingredients, including the cup of wine. You do not need to stir it or do anything else.
– Place the lid on and turn the heat to medium. Once it starts boiling, immediately reduce the heat to a gentle simmer.
– Let it cook for about 45 to 50 minutes until the chicken is cooked. Halfway through the cooking to time, check to see if it needs more liquid, although usually it won’t need it since all the chicken, tomatoes, and the rest of the veggies will release their own liquid. In case it does need it, however, you can add warm water or chicken broth, just a few tablespoons at a time.