Peanut Torito Cocktail
This may sound kind of strange, but this drink is a sort of smoothie with alcohol, or a smoothie “for grown-ups” if you will. It’s called “Torito” and it is popular in the State of Veracruz, where it is prepared in many different flavors. This peanut flavor is one of the favorites, but you can find it in flavors like coffee, coconut, strawberry, dulce de leche, mango, guava, guanabana, and many more. Of course, you can make your own creation using the same basic ingredients and add the fruit or flavoring of your choice.
There is another drink in central Mexico called “torito” or “toro” (bull), but this recipe here is for the one in Veracruz. You may know that I have a special attachment to that state, since my mother was born and raised there, and I spent several summers at my grandma’s house in Veracruz. I have also lived there three times, and I hope to one day to live there again or have a house where I can go and spend my vacations.
This drink is commonly served as an apéritif, and besides being sold at specific places dedicated only to the Torito, they can also be found at Seafood restaurants in the port of Veracruz and the city of Mocambo. You don’t have to go all the way to Veracruz, though; check your pantry, and I’m sure you’ll already have some of the ingredients to make it today. Enjoy!
How to make Peanut Torito Cocktail
- Place the two milks, peanut butter, vanilla, aguardiente/rum, and ice cubes into your blender, and blend until smooth. Put some extra ice cubes into your glasses and serve the Toritos! Cheers! (Please check the ingredients list below)
Torito de Cacahuate
- ½ cup Evaporated milk
- ½ cup Condensed milk
- ½ cup Peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla optional
- ½ cup of Aguardiente or Rum*
- 2 cups of Ice cubes
- Extra ice cubes for your glasses.
- Place the two milks, peanut butter, vanilla, aguardiente/rum, and ice cubes into your blender, and blend until smooth.
- Put some extra ice cubes into your glasses and serve the Toritos! Cheers!